I have finally decided on a major! I am finally relieved, comfortable, and excited about a major. I am majoring in Social work! (i will have a minor in Spanish). I am so excited. For those of you who don't know my academic story, here's the brief edition:
I've always know that I want to work with people, and I've always known that as soon as I get my education, I want to work outside of the country, preferably in South America, for a few years. I've always had a pretty clear idea of what I actually want to be doing (working with a non profit, dealing with social injustices and human rights issues, work with children) but I was never able to relate my ambitions to a major or degree. So, I started out in international relations. It was interesting, and I believe it is a completely wonderful area of study. Personally, however, I'm not so much into the politics and business side of things, and would much rather have a hands-on position. ANYWAYS.. after much confusion and debate, including coming very close to majoring in speech pathology and then education, I was left without a clue. Someone mentioned that I should consider social work. Talk about realization. I never even considered the field before, plus, most people grow up having a very narrow view of what social work encompasses. It's not just working with the DHS or welfare or adoption etc. It finally clicked. I was like, this is what I want to study, this is what I've been looking for. So, I changed my major. Today I had my first social work class... I am so excited. It makes so much sense for me and I feel relieved and excited about studying something I care about and am interested in. The prof. was awesome and talked about how social work is a vast field, very rewarding, etc. The cons that people may associate with social work are that it's an underappreciated and underpaid position. However, knowing this full well, I realize that I don't need a career in which I'm paid well or particularly appreciated. I will be happy doing this kind of work, and that's what matters most. I'm not trying to be crazy idealistic, I don't believe it's a matter of idealism, I think it's a matter, for me, of finding what fits and what I'm passionate about and running with it.
In class we also talked about how spirituality is such an influence to and so closely related with social work and now it makes even more sense for my life> i am excited> so i want to write tons more but i have another class> also<>> grrr> okay< have a beautiful day everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment